“Parting out a restoration project, included are the fuselage, rudder, engine mount, firewall, new.
|“Parting out a restoration project, included are the fuselage, rudder, engine mount, firewall, new wood floorboards, controls, new rudder cables, main and header tanks, instrument panel with partial instruments, greenhouse and windows installed but no windshield. . No wings engine prop or other parts are included. No cowlings.”|
|You are bidding on the fuselage with Rudder, data plates, log books original documents, manuals, and airworthiness for Aeronca O-58A 49087 serial # 42-7796 delivered to the Army 11/18/1941 just before Pearl Harbor. This auction includes the restored fuselage done with the Air Tech STC thru primer and the top coat is flat Poly Fiber Aerothane. Also Included are the documents from over two years of research including copies of aircraft card, flight logs etc. |
This aircraft had been in storage since 1954 before we started on the restoration. Included with the restored fuselage are: new floorboards, new upholstery, rudder cables, all controls, main and header tank, engine mount, new stainless firewall and boot cowl. Windows and greenhouse are installed. New panel with partial instruments.
Please Note: We are parting this aircraft out and all other parts are being sold separately, only those items listed above are included in this auction. Wings, gear, wheels, brakes and control surfaces are being sold individually and in other auctions.
Aeronca O-58A N49087
Army Serial No. 42-7796, Aeronca Serial No. 42-7796
Date built 11/15/1941, Date Accepted US Army 11/18/1941
Army Flight Time 756 hrs, Total Time 1,138 hrs
In Storage since 10/21/1954
42-7796 is one of only two O-58A aircraft
that still survive of the twenty built by Aeronca and delivered to the Army
November of 1941 a few weeks before Pearl Harbor. The other O-58A 42-7798 was
heavily damaged in a crash in 2011. 42-7796 will be the only airworthy example
left in the world when completed. Records show that Ft. Rucker has in storage a
O-58A but we visited the museum storage facility and the aircraft they have is
a TC painted with tail # 7798 and is a replica. No O-58A aircraft are known to
exist in any museums.
The O-58A differs from later L-3 aircraft
in that it is the only Aeronca ever built where the factory used the military
serial # as the Aeronca factory number. It has a different welded frame, is
lighter by 40 lbs, was equipped with Learadios (not RCA) and had a large
overhead greenhouse structure of Spruce not steel. The O-58A had metal
ribs, leading edges, and instrument
panel while later B and C models had all wood wings and wood panel. The O-58A
has front brakes only and was not equipped with a rear throttle when it left
the factory. The elevator trim is located on the upper left side of the
cockpit. Initially the Learadios were mounted on the left hand window sill
frame where the rear throttle would have been. A brace bolted to the pilot seat
supported a tray hooked to welded tabs on the window frame. 42-7796 still has
those welded lugs on the window frame and the welded bolt holes on the pilot
During 1942 several O-58A aircraft were
converted to L-3A configuration, rear throttles were added in the field by
clamping on a support. The addition of the rear throttle required relocation of
the radios in the same locations as the L-4A aircraft with the transmitter on a
rear baggage shelf and the receiver on the floor between the pilots legs. Early
L-3B aircraft also mounted one of the RCA radios to the front floorboard. The
field installation of the rear throttle was not recessed in the same fashion as
the factory installed welded mount and the throttle rod was exposed between the
rear and front throttles.
We have restored 42-7796 as she appeared
the Spring of 1942, the red center has been removed from the insignia, along
with the US Army on the wings. The 109th Observation Squadron Markings remain
on the vertical fin, the 24 stands for aircraft #24 of the 109th OBS. Yellow
radio call numbers were not painted on O-58 aircraft till 1943.
42-7796 last flew 10/21/1954 and was then
disassembled and placed in storage with a total airframe time of 1,138 hours.
We have complete records including all original logbooks from the day she left
the Army . The first civilian logbook entry shows time flown in military
service is 756 hrs brought forward from AAF form 1A. We also have a large
collection of original documents that came with the aircraft including
registration forms from 1945, 337s and other documents.
Military History O-58A 42-7796
We spent two years fully researching the
history of 42-7796 and have retrieved the aircraft card, along with locations
and units served with. We have flight reports from the assignment at the
Liaison Pilot Training School in Pittsburg Kansas as well as pilot Bios , and
42-7796 was delivered to the 109th
Observation Squadron, 67th Observation Group 11/18/1941 a few weeks before
Pearl Harbor. The aircraft flew with the
109th during the Carolina Maneuvers Nov/Dec 1941. The aircraft also flew out of
Esler Field, Camp Beauregard La. while with the 109th. 42-7796 remained with
the 109th OBS from January 1942 thru June
5th, 1942 when the 109th began preparations for deployment to England.
During the first half of 1942 while with the 109th, 42-7796 flew anti submarine
patrols along the Eastern Coastline and Gulf coast. 42-7796 was transferred to
Pittsburg, Kansas June 5th, 1942 initially to the Glider Pilot School there which was changed over to the
Liaison Pilot Training School January, 1943. 42-7796 remained at Pittsburg thru
1943 and early 1944. The training school was shut down in 1944 and 42-7796 was
sold as surplus January 8th, 1945.
Col. Robert J. Low
US Army 1941 - 1963, 0-1166547
Colonel Low flew 42-7796 several times
during the summer and early fall of 1943 while in training for his Liaison
Pilots wings at Pittsburg Kansas. He graduated
in class P-44-II with a stage B grade of 92 and no accidents. Col. Low
went on to fly in both the European and Pacific theaters and later the Korean
War. For five days in 1950 during the US Marine retreat from the Chosin
Reservoir Col. Low made repeated flights in to makeshift icy airstrips to
evacuate wounded, for these actions he was awarded the Silver Star. Col. Low
later became a helicopter pilot and taught air tactics at the Army Command and
General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas. He also helped develop the
helicopter doctrine used by the 1ST Air Calvary Division in Vietnam. During his service he received two awards of
the Distinguished Flying Cross, Silver Star, and seven awards of the Air Medal.
He passed away in 2001 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
US Army WW II and Korea 0-1183243
Leonard Bolton flew 42-7796 several times during the summer and Fall of 1943 while in training for his Liaison Pilots Wings at Pittsburg Kansas. While in training he nosed 42-7796 over landing in tall grass on a cross country to Carthage MO. The only damage sustained to 42-7796 was a dented cowling, broken prop and damaged airbox. After graduation from Pittsburg, Bolton went on to fly Piper L-4 aircraft in the Philippines. Later during the Korean War he became a personal pilot for General Douglas MacArthur. Boltons daughter, Author Joanna Bolton has provided several WW II and Korean photos of her father and Mother including one of her Mother posing with a O-58A tail # unknown.